PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy Paint Online unless you are really cheap like me!

Carrameow
10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Don't buy Paint Online unless you are really cheap like me! You just cause yourself trouble and trepidation. I'm a prime example of what happens. I could be driving my car instead of being busy hiding it from my Gearhead Friends ; I have to park it 2 streets away so no one sees it in front of my House...

The people at KIRKER are the greatest; the fault is ENTIRELY MINE!!!I can sometimes be unreasonable and sometimes I RUSH RUSH for no reason at all. Its just that if you shop On-Line, you don't have the option of changing your color in a day or even one hour!!!. The Mack Blue I used just didn't go with my Car. As I said it was my Fault.

Anyway I went out at Lunch and got the real Color I wanted ( at the real price.....sigh...) and it wasn't as painful as I thought. Its very flexible and you can run out and get something quickly, and the added cost can be justified by added SATISFICATION (KIRKER is EXCELLENT PAINT AND VERY GOOD)...of course I will be eating peanut butter sandwiches for lunch for 3 months now, but the 32 ounce plastic jars are great for parts storage and I will be wearing duct tape for sneakers way into 2008 since the originals have long ago disappeared...

ZRX61
10-02-2006, 05:49 PM
WTF??? I thought the problem was you didn't realise what color blue paint is???

Derry
10-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I've shot a bunch of Kirkers AU SS with clear coat on top and NEVER had a problem...in fact I just finished painting a street rod Model A PU in that same Mack Blue and their Buckskin, clear coated, striped it and I and the customer thought it looked pretty good...generally it's true that "you get what you pay for" but sometimes you get more than expected.... I have been using their epoxy primer for some time with absolutely NO problems...in fact...I'm using their Porche red and the black SS on a Model A roadster pickup right now....NO problems...
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Derry Suther\My Documents\My Pictures\Our Photos\JT's Rod
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Derry Suther\My Documents\My Pictures\Our Photos\JT's Rod

Sometimes it's not the fault of the paint. :)
Derry

Derry
10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Looks like the pictures didn't attach...i'll try again but in the meantime if you want to see the 2 examples email me....sorry...
Derry
dsuther6@comcast.net

Mooch
10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I have been buying paint on line for years . Don't be so quick to blame the paint, it just might be you. Almost every brand of paint can be bought on line.

I would rather buy my materials on liine anyday ,than to have to put up with some jerk counter person. Mooch :)

Derry
10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Pictures:
http://autobodystore.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=300&stc=1&d=1159895478
http://autobodystore.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=299&stc=1&d=1159895493

Hope this worked...
Derry

Carrameow
10-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Sometimes it's not the fault of the paint. :)
Derry

I AGREE, I NEVER DID BLAME KIRKER, THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE!!! Like you are implying, I can be VERY HUMAN. I am sure its great paint. What I meant is if you are doing On- Line purchasing, often you have to schedule your job in a tight window, and the moment I shot it, it did not fit the car, but (I THOUGHT) I was behind schedule so I couldnt trade colors ON-LINE in a day, I would have had to wait a week. I accept the fault entirely and I AM NOT IMPUGNING THE QUALITY OR REPUTATION of KIRKER PAINT COMPANY

Carrameow
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
WTF??? I thought the problem was you didn't realise what color blue paint is???

There is nothing wrong with KIRKER. They make great paint and are great people! The Problem is ME. I am always RUSH RUSH RUSH and DRIVEN and when I noticed the color didnt match the car, I should have shut down and just waited patiently one week. On Line Shopping doesn't give someone impulsive like me the chance to change colors quickly. One would have to wait one week..

dave_demented
10-03-2006, 04:24 PM
i usually just buy my primers online, but i think im gonna start buyin some of my single stages on line too.... much cheaper

Carrameow
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I have been buying paint on line for years . Don't be so quick to blame the paint, it just might be you. Almost every brand of paint can be bought on line.

I would rather buy my materials on liine anyday ,than to have to put up with some jerk counter person. Mooch :)

All I meant to saty is that On-Line purchasing doesnt give you the option of making a return in 1 hour. KIRKER makes great paint. But very few people sell you OEM colors for an 85 import On-Line and I was surprised how easy you can do that at a Pro Shop.

ZRX61
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
WTF yet again???, I post one reply & then you edit your post. With the drama queen BS in your other posts I think I'll just stop reading anything you post on here...

& personally I think Kirker is crap.

X711
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
WTF Carrameow, thats just palin BS.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing paint online provided you know what your doing. One other thing that ticks me off is pleanty of good people on
here have given you solid advice on methods to go about painting
When you were starting out I took the time to tell you what to do.

================================================== =========
READ IT

Honestly here is what I would do in your situation.

Since the existing paint on the car is old that you are trying to match
even if the color chart looks ok on your pc screen its more than likely
not !

Your best option is to take a couple of steps back and if possible get
two color chips from the existing paint first.

Then break out your local yellow pages and call paint suppliers in your area.

You stand a far better chance of getting a good match to the existing paint
if you shop local first. Once you know the color formulation, then shop the
internet vendors for same. Best chance for color match is still a local jobber !

Identify your paint options / brands you are interested in first.

If you check back to this site, more than likely others might have used that
exact same vendors paint and offer advice etc from that point.

================================================== ========

I think you will find if you read what people are telling you, you will have a
far easier time of getting that car done, & done right.

Sometimes its very difficult to try help someone that cant help themself so
do me a favour before you try paint again and then complain or write a book
on un-related silly stuff, Wake up smell the coffee. Read the info posted
on this site. "Make Notes" or a list and follow it !

><

Carrameow
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
cool it okay

X711
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Hold on there, I was not trying to beat you up. If you read between the
lines I was just pointing out that your screwing yourself. No dis-respect intended.

Honestly man if you dont listen you will never learn. Most of us have been there at on time or another. Mistakes come easy when auto refinishing even for me. First time I shot paint it was Orange Peel City. I mean the thing I painted would pass for an Orange like easy.

So after awhile and taking a couple steps back and a few deep breaths and
checking out various posts of info I started to see the bigger picture and for
me that was, Rush and im screwed, so I went small steps at a time.

Again forgive me but I did not mean for you to take offence by my post. I was trying to give you a gentle push in the right direction ! I guess reverse
psychology dont work to good with you eh.

><

ZRX61
10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
and discuss this Face to Face , name a time and place you F___, I would love to kick you Fat A---, I'm off of this Forum and back to the Gearhead forums where the real gentleman hang out. There is very little politeness and coutesy and class here.
You certainly proved that point....:rolleyes:

I do try to take the time to make this entertaining
You do???

isprayum
10-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm starting to have "Nash" flashbacks.

Carrameow
10-04-2006, 07:05 AM
I have a big APOLOGY to make about my angry outburst above. I'm repainting my car again and getting very little sleep ( 2 or 3 hours a night ) since I used up my vacation. I was sleep deprived last night when I posted the above angry retort.
I have depended on this Forum for my complete Autobody education. Without the benefit of the people I have met here and this Forum, I would know nothing about Autobody .
I mean in the beginning I came to this Forum before I even bought a Gun with some presposterous brash and naive posts and not even knowing what basic terminology and everyone here was very patient and put up with me.

You people have been more than fair and nice to me, and I shouldn't have acted so ungratefully.
I should show everyone a lot more respect. The only thing in fairness I can say for myself is that I am influenced by how professional everybody is here on this site and thats why i try to do a very good job. Whenever I do my bodywork, I always ask what would a Forum memebr think if they saw this?

The reason I post all those Progress Reports is to show you that I have listened and I am learned and because I respect this Forum and Len.