PDA

View Full Version : epoxy primer

TheCoatingStore.com

FCCOOL
03-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I have bought some De beer epoxy primer, i have never used epoxy, previuosly I did the filler , etch primed the bare steel then covered the lot in 2K HS primer. i have half the car in primer and plan to do the remaining work with the epoxy.
what are the differences in procedure with epoxy?
is it water proof?
does it matter how long i leave it before i apply filler?
after i apply filler do i just apply my 2k hs primer over it?
Do I use normal deoxidiser on the metal before applying the epoxy?

FCCOOL
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
do many people here use epoxy or know much about it?

Phil V
03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
FCCOOL, you didn't get any answers to your questions because you asked too many questions that would require more time and effort than most people are willing to expend. Next time limit your questions to one or two per posted message. I cut and pasted your message to more effectively answer your questions.

I have bought some De beer epoxy primer, i have never used epoxy, previuosly I did the filler , etch primed the bare steel then covered the lot in 2K HS primer. i have half the car in primer and plan to do the remaining work with the epoxy. ( you are leaving us to assume the rest of the car not in 2K high fill primer does not need to be guidecoat block sanded so the panels are as flat as you want ). Ultimately the whole car at that point should receive a couple coats of epoxy primer as a sealer coat.

what are the differences in procedure with epoxy? (not much, spray it on in medium wet coats while keeping mind that the epoxy will not need to be sanded if recoated within it correct time window).

is it water proof? (waterproof is relative, correctly it could be called water resistant, as opposed to soaking water up like sponge which the high fill 2K primers do).

does it matter how long i leave it before i apply filler? (If you apply filler within its recoat window time period then it doesn't have to be scuff. Outside of that time window it must be scuffed with a relatively coarse sandpaper (180 grit or more coarse) before filler is applied). Most well experienced professional bodymen apply filler only to properly prepared bare metal and not over epoxy primer. both ways are acceptible, but I never apply filler over epoxy primer

after i apply filler do i just apply my 2k hs primer over it? (yes, with the caveat of the time window thing)

Do I use normal deoxidiser on the metal before applying the epoxy? ( I see no reason to use a metal "deoxidixer" before the epoxy because the epoxy has built in rust inhibitors.)

FCCOOL
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
thanks PhillV, I started with normal 2k primers but the job ended up being a longer term job than first planned, the car is outside, its wrapped in plastic when i am not working on it but it sometimes gets the odd splash of water, i have had some primer on for now 12 months and am starting to worry about moisture getting through it, its also in a tent kind of thing but it leaks, i now want to use epoxy so i am not costantly re doing stuff wich i cant get into primer the same day i work on it, thats why i want to swap to epoxy, i plan to cover all the bare metal and then work on it when i can.

for a idea of what i am doing check this thread with pictures on the OZrodders forum-
http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13028

i am in Sydney Australia, lately we have been getting 80%+ humidity.

FCCOOL
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
one more thing, if i do some repairs in filler and then epoxy and do the rest of the repairs later, do i spray the whole panel in epoxy even over the filler or do i leave the repairs in filler exposed till i put on the HS primer

Phil V
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Definately spray epoxy primer over the filler (it will help to keep moisture from being absorbed by the filler).

I don't know what to tell you about your work environment, it's far from ideal. Having said that - your best bet is definately epoxy primer (and not thin coats either).

Here in Michigan tonight its around -30 Deg.Celsius wind chill.