PDA

View Full Version : kerosene heaters and paint

bigrob24_7
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
i use a 70,000 btu torpedo type heater to heat the shop up fast with un-dyed kerosene. used this type of heater for years. wouldnt recommend painting while its running though. my qeustion is why doesnt it cause fish eyes isnt it petroleum based? ( using a new ready heater)

Brian Felts
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
That is the same thing I use. To my best guess I don't point the heater in the direction of the car. I figure a light mist may go that way. I have not had any problems either using mine though.

Brian

shoddy_f-body
11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I use one too. 115,000 BTU reddy heater. I point it out the door before i fire it up and let it run a minute then bring it in.Thats when the stank comes out when you first fire it up. If its running right you should have only hot air coming out,no fuel so no fish eyes.Once the cone is glowing its pretty clean. On small jobs i get the garage around 75 and shut it down. then spray.I have a small 220 volt electric heater blower that i let run a few hours after fumes have cleared to let the paint/primer cure.It keeps the garage around 60. On bigger jobs if i need to run heat while im spraying i have rolled the heater outside and let it blow in the side door while having a fan blow overspray out the opposite door.That way the heater is not actually in the room with the fumes. Still a little dicey but i don't do many big jobs in the winter so the first method works fine.

Roch_Greg
11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I use a 170,000 Btu Reddy Heater and haven't had any problems with the paint. I too shut mine off when spraying then crank it back on when I'm not. The unit has a programmable thermostat which lets me adjust when it cycles on and off but I don't want to risk it.

I use a additive you can get at Lowes or Home Depot (probably other places as well) called Kero-Klean. It comes in a variety of flavors and takes the edge off the fumes from the heater among other things.

I don't have mine pointing toward the work either. But I've been out spraying the last few weeks and have had to use the heater everyday, to cold without it. No ill effects to report.

Greg

lcorrell
11-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey this is good info guys, thanks! I have a couple of 40,000btu kero turbo heaters that I have intentionaly not been using because I was afraid they would leave a residue and mess up any painting I might do. What do you think about the wick style radiant heaters? I have a couple of those that use kerosene, but have not used them either for the same fear. I have several different forms of heat in the shop. The wood stove is the only one that can really heat it when its cold. I have an old mobile home furnace that runs on fuel oil (I've been using kero) that is vented from outside - so it should be safe while painting, but it can't keep up.

When it comes time to paint, I was thinking about running my exhaust fan blowing into the garage (positive pressure) with the torpedo heaters outside blowing toward the fan.

88GT
11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I use a propane heater. burns cleaner and more convenient with 100 pound bottles. no paint issues

Chris L
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Diddo on the propane.I just bought a small 30k btu propane blower to go along with my 3 heater Mr heater tank set up.I heat the room with the 3ok salamander and turn it off when painting,but i do run the 3 heater tank mounted during painting(with exhaust fan on).I had a kerosene last year and it sucked oil and didnt keep the room warm.With this small blower ,i am using a 20lb gas grille tank and i have used it over 10 hours so far and it only costs 12.00 to fill it up.

Roch_Greg
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
lcorrell:

I've never used the wick style radiant heaters but friends of mine have them for emergency heat at home or primary heat at their hunting camps and have no complaints about them. They are designed for indoor use is about all I know.

I too have been toying with the idea of going positive pressure with the heat blowing in. Seems it would be better than the negative pressure setup I'm using now which sucks all the heat out of the space.

Fortunately with 170,00 btu's of forced air it doesn't take long to get the temps up.

Chris/88GT

I toyed with the idea of using Propane because of the Clean Fuel burning idea but the convenience of Kerosene won. I don't have any way to haul a 100 lb Propane tank to get filled and if I did there are only certain places that will fill it and they aren't open outside of normal business hours.

I can get Kerosene from any Hess Gas Station (2 within a mile or so of my house) that are open 24/7/365 including holidays.

Greg

shoddy_f-body
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I had a propane reddy heater torpedo.It worked good but it would go through a bbq tank in about 6-8 hours and thoses things are about $18 to fill here and a hassle because most places are exchange like at Home Depot.No filling stations like there used to be. I ebayed it and bought my kero heater. Smells worse.Lasts longer.

dave_demented
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
a guy i was working with for a while has an older reddyheat kerosene heater, he uses that thing like crazy and hasnt had a problem with fisheyes. just dont aim it directly at what your painting, or if you do put some distance between the fresh pain and the heater... fresh paint does NOT like that much heat concentrated in a small area....