TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: PPG Flex N' Flat Clear

Default PPG Flex N' Flat Clear

Hello All,
    I am new to this paint by PPG. I painted a motorcycle frame, trying to achieve a low gloss powder coated look. The results turned out gloss. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Should my wet coat be glossy? Should I be laying the coat so light that it looks low gloss?, and then just letting it dry like that? Please help, I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks,
    tom

If you are using PPG Flex N' Flat clear read the P-sheet close. A small amount to much hardener may cause gloss. No clear needs to be added to the preflat clear. Adding standered clear is how get more gloss. Leave it out. If I recall, You have hardener options. I had good luck with dcx161. You spray it glossy and it drys flat. Hope this helps.

I did use the dcx61 as well. I also mixed it according to the spec sheet. Here is the part I did not do. It says "mixed product should be shaken well before and during application". How important is this step? I mixed it with a stir stick pretty well, just like I would any other paint. Is that where I messed up? Thanks for the help.

Tom

All clears and hardeners need to be shaken well be for using. I don't know how much that might change the gloss. I have a sheet on this, give me a few min. to find it.

The p-sheet I have is for DCU 2060
    The mix ratios:

DCU 2060 6 parts

DT Reducer 1 part

DCX 61 hardener 1 part

6 to 1 to 1 Is this the way you mixed yours?

Yes, I mixed mine exactly like that. My finish is super glossy. I'm definitely confused. I know I didn't shake up the mix, but I just figured that it might slightly effect it, but not this much. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

I do not know . I had good luck with the product. One thing i noticed reading over the p-sheet is, it said only for use over DBU or DBC base coat. Thats not the problem is it. Is it hot where you live? Humidity may play a roll. Even a gloss clear will look flat if the humidity is high and it is cold. Shake well and try again is all i can tell ya.

Default I never used it...

I flatten my own clears....but all flat clears have alot of solid deposits in the bottom of the can. Flatteners are real thick...they must be really well shakened until there is nothing left in the bottom of the can.

Was the bottom of the can clear when you finished stirring. You must stirr the clear well before mixing, then mix it well just before pouring to make sure the flatteners are well dispersed in the clear.

Flatteners will start settling in the bottom of the can as soon as you set the can down...And, the clear when mixed with the flatteners should be slightly milky, not water clear. If its water clear then the flatteners were left in the bottom of the can...

Its very difficult to mix the flattners back into the clear with a stir stick because its so thick. If you did not notice the thickness then look in the bottom of the can and make sure the bottom is realy the bottom and not the top of the deposited flattening agents...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

That makes sense. Thanks for all the help guys. I did not mix the can of flat clear before I poured out some to mix with the reducer and hardener. If what you say is true, then all the flat is probably sitting at the bottom of my can of flat clear. Wow.....that was pretty dumb of me, and probably my problem. I will try again and let you know how it comes out. I am in orlando, fl. My booth was about 75 degrees, probably 30% humidity when I sprayed.

Thanks,
    tom

Default Flex n Flat

I am using Flex n Flat for the first time and have achieved a gloss as well. Tried reducing 150-200%. Still high Gloss appearance. Any tips for the new guy?