TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Guide coat paint?

Default Guide coat paint?

Hello what cheap spray can paint does everyone use to spray a light coat (Guide coat) over the high build primer to see the low spots after sanding?
    I tried flat black rustoleum but it needs 24 hours to sand. I couldn't wait so I sanded it after an hour and it clogged up my sandpaper. I am trying to find a fast drying enamel......

Any ideas

THanks....

You don't really want an enamel. A lacquer of some sort would be better. Less film build and very quick drying. For the same money why not buy a dedicated guide coat product? For an aerasol SEM makes this one. For an even faster product that will last a good long time try the 3m dry.

Steve g

I use flat black lacquer. I'm sanding within 30 seconds.

You only put on a mist coat....nothing much. If I happen to put it on too thick, I'll just rub body filler dust on it to speed it up. But just put on a mist coat.

--
    Gordon

Default Laquer Primer

I'm using over reduced laquer primer that I've had for over 2 years.
    35 bucks a gallon.
    Mix it 2-3 parts reducer to 1 part primer.
    I have an old campbell-hausfield dedicated guide coat gun 1.7mm tip.
    All you need is MIST COAT.
    In a minute or two you are ready to start sanding.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth
    I'm using over reduced laquer primer that I've had for over 2 years.
    35 bucks a gallon.
    Mix it 2-3 parts reducer to 1 part primer.
    I have an old campbell-hausfield dedicated guide coat gun 1.7mm tip.
    All you need is MIST COAT.
    In a minute or two you are ready to start sanding.
    I did that for years but I used black lacquer paint. I would over reduce it and put it in a siphon feed gun with a marble or two in the bottom and when I picked it up I would swish the marbles around to stir up the paint then spray it on. Now I use SEM guide coat because it's so easy and inexpensive that it doesn't pay to mess with a gun. Maybe if I was sanding on primer everyday for a living I may go back to using a gun but for the once a week primer sanding the SEM aerosol works great and one can lasts me a couple months.

One of the things I like about the SEM is that you can sand it immediately and not clog the sandpaper.

After using guide coat aerosols and 3M dry guide coat, I will NEVER go back to spraying paint out of a gun. The aerosols and even way better the dry guide coat is SOOOOOOOO much more practical it isn't funny.

Does it cost more? Maybe, but just how much do you spend on guide coat anyway? I have used the same dry coat for MONTHS. If you are doing complete cars, miles of blocking it will last you a month or two guaranteed. Just how cheap would one be to not spend a lousy 15-20 bucks a month that saves you hours of work?

Brian

I too use the SEM 38203.