TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Dupont's Prep-Sol

Default Dupont's Prep-Sol

Is Prep-Sol a good product? Is $18 for one gallon a good price? Never used it before so I thought I'd check. If you don't suggest this, what do you suggest as a wax/grease remover?

Default Go w/ Final Klean...

Prep Sol is a good product, but if I had to narrow it down to one "do-all" cleaner, I'd opt to spend my money on Final Klean (also by DuPont).

It, of course, depends on the task at hand.

The purpose of a wax and grease remover, is to get the surface contaminants into suspension, then wipe the surface clean while the contaminants are "floating".

Prep Sol evaporates slowly...Final Klean evaporates comparatively quicker.

If the task is a pre cleaning of heavily soiled areas prior to paint stripping and bodywork, that call for agressive cleaning of deposits, then Prep-Sol (DuPont's version...as there are other manufacturers using essentially the same name for similar products), is the call.

But, for me, in my experience, I like using the Final Klean, since it flashes off just that more quickly, and I opt to use this as my final surface wipe before painting (and for that matter, to clean off any freshly ground bare metal areas prior to filling)...just wipe, till I see no black residue on the paper towel.

If you manage to get your hands on the spec sheets to compare the two products, I believe they'll also give you an idea on their intended applications (as they do differ a bit), so you can then make the determination of which wax and grease remover, of the two, is more suitable to your application at this stage of the game.

what AlexeiVT said is pretty on the mark. I have and use both Prep-Sol and Final Kleen but each has it's application.

If you read the spec sheets you will see that Dupont does not reccommend painting over a surface that has been cleaned with Prep-Sol alone without hitting it with something else (i.e. Final Klean). They complement each other in that way.

Dupont now also sells the Sonatra Line, which are essentially wipes/towels pre-moistened with either Prep-Sol or Final-Klean among other things like different types of tack rags and towels.

$18.00 is not a bad price and depending on how many cars you do it will last quite a long time.

Default The best way to apply those cleaners...

Is to use a spray bottle like the one in this link...

http://http://autobodystore.net/Merc...egory_Code=PSH

Prep sol is more of a degreaser in my book while final clean is a pre-paint cleaner. In PPG you would use DX440 (prep sol) and DX330 (final clean)...

18 a gal is good compared to the PPG products which I pay more for...but the sprayer pays for itself very quickly with those cleaners as you get more mileage out of the cleaners with the spray than putting them on a rag...

Thanks alot guys. The old man that taught me bodywork always used mineral spirits but I quickly found that I didn't care for it when the job wasn't laqcuer. I think I'll get the Final Klean instead of the Prep-Sol. I was searching for the characteristics of the Final Klean but thought that Prep-Sol was the one I wanted. Thanks for clearing it up!