TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Clear Coat Recommendations

Default Clear Coat Recommendations

I know this topic has been discussed, but I would really appreciate any recommendations on clear coat brand. I will be spraying PPG DBU base in a silver color but refuse to pay the high costs of the PPG 2021 clears that I used to use.

I have a supplier just a couple miles from me that is very helpful so I try to use products they supply. My choices are Omni, Limco, and Advantage (and PPG).

I hear Omni doesn't have the best UV protection and the supplier claims this also. I haven't ever used Limco or Advantage nor have I heard of anyone else use them.

Anyone used Limco or Advantage? If so, did you like it? For the Omni users, does anyone disagree with the UV comments?

I was also looking at trying the products from Rubber Seal. Anyone used them and if so which products do you like.

I will be spraying multiple panels but not an overall in a garage environment that is very clean with decent filtration.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I used the Omni 260 clear for years without any troubles. A few months ago I switched over to Matrix MS 42 clear which is a 2 coat clear. Just put 1 more coat than you would normally put with the higher priced clears. I had always put 3 coats with good results.

The Limco clears i have used are super thin,and cheap..like 88 bucks a gallon...i also use Matrix ms 42..and if you cant get that,id do Omni 161..If you do everything properly,omni wont let you down and will look like a million bucks.

I`ve used limco on a few things it`s alright and can lay pretty good out of the gun.It is thin though,But I like that.I guess it depends on who`s car it is,and are you going to buff,and how long is the owner going to keep this particular vehicle.If it were mine and I cared about it and I planned on keeping it I would pay the extra.But it will get the job done and look pretty good.I also have shot transtar and western clears and for the money they are pretty good as well.You can get the limco to lay good enough to get away without buffing.Happy Spraying!

Its pretty hard to beat Omni clear. I have use that brand along with Transtar 4.2 low VOC for going on 10 years with absolutely no problems. I can speak from experience when I say that its just baseless rumor that Omni doesn't have good UV preotection.

I've only used the Omni once,on one of my own cars I didn't want to spend a lot on,had it for 2 or 3 years,never garaged,held up fine.

utech 4.0 clear is pretty good for a cheap clear. Around $90 for a gallon of clear and activator. The omni is now called Shopline and it sprays almost like the more expensive PPG clear. Costs a little more than the Utech but it's better.

As far as PPG is concerned Omni 161 is a good high solids cheap clear and just as high solid as the 2002 or 2021 but it seems a little more "yellow" and does'nt harden as quick as 2021 with the dcx61 hardener but overall the 161 is a very good clear for the money but I still prefer the 2021 for good projects just because it has never let me down and seems to look a little better than the 161 clear.

The Limco clears are great for cars that need a good clear that will lay down like glass with very little effort and set up very fast like 1 hour no fingerprint good and I have to agree they are thin and require 3-4 coats and even then seem to shrink really bad and show sand scractches later, so a sealer is a must when using Limco clears. The LC4000 is like $65 a gallon plus $20 for the hardener so $85 for a gallon with hardener and for a builder or something you are just fixing to sell and get out the door with no sanding or buffing it won't let you down, looks very nice maybe even better shine (DOI) than the expensive clear like 2002 or 2021 and it is a "clear" clear if you know what I mean no yellow tint to it. The limco basecoat is more of an enamel like basecoat and they never match, not even close so I still use PPG DBC for my basecoats but will use the Limco clear on low end jobs that I just want to get out the door with no sanding.

With prices at PPG I have also been looking around and while I have always used PPG and still like their basecoats best they are just too expensive anymore for a lower end jobs so I have turned to BASF and so far have been very satisfied with the quality for the money. Like $30 for a quart of Limco clear and hardener to do a hood or a couple fenders etc..............................

Thanks for the advice so far. This is my own car and I plan on keeping it for several years. I plan on cutting and buffing the car regardless of which clear I use. I am looking for quality results, so if that means staying away from some of the cheaper products then that is fine.

At this point I am leaning towards Omni or even thinking of giving the matrix a try. Sounds like Limco isn't what I am looking for. One advantage of Omni is that I can buy it locally. I will ask them about the shopline line of products. Not sure about Matrix though. Do you have to buy online or do they have distributors. Their website didn't have any distributors listed in my area.

Matrix will sell direct. I have a salesman from them that calls about once a month. My PPG dealer sells a lot of paint (one of the bigger volume dealers in the area) but he also sells a clear called Tech made by a company in Wisconsin. He sells a lot of it to guys that don't want to use the real high dollar stuff. He calls it better than Omni and not as good as the 2021. He paints quite a bit of stuff himself and uses that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Matrix will sell direct. I have a salesman from them that calls about once a month. My PPG dealer sells a lot of paint (one of the bigger volume dealers in the area) but he also sells a clear called Tech made by a company in Wisconsin. He sells a lot of it to guys that don't want to use the real high dollar stuff. He calls it better than Omni and not as good as the 2021. He paints quite a bit of stuff himself and uses that clear.
    You have to take a paint dealer's opinion with a grain of salt. Often what's better to them is what has the highest margin. I've sprayed a fair amount of Omni clear and have had good luck with it.