TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Shop Line paint by PPG

Default Shop Line paint by PPG

Anybody familiar with this line of BC and Urethane? Thanks

I have been meaning to ask my local jobber about this but others on the forums have said that PPG simply repackaged their Omni line which had been around for many years. Omni was PPG's economy line but still a very good product IMO and used by lots of people.
    Was it reformulated too to go along with the new name? From what others have said, no, but I do not know that as fact.
    You could call PPG and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

I was told by the guys at local paint store (I've known them for many years and are trusted sources of this type of information) that the Shop Line is the same Omni just a different name. I did notice a little difference in the shop line 2-K primer compared to the Omni SV primer (a little more thin and doesn't go on as well as the SV).

I would trust their primers and clears but my best advice is stay away from their basecoats if you're an inexperienced painted and especially if the basecoat you need is a metallic based paint. I think the Omni/Shopline clears are excellent clears regardless of the lesser cost. I would not hesitate to use their clear on my own personal vehicles as well as customer vehicles.

I went to my local PPG distributer and asked the same question. They told me that it was just repackaged.

He showed me a long listing of the old Omni numbers and the associated new numbers for the Shopline.

I didn't realize how many different Omni number codes they had and every single one had a new Shopline number.

g

I use the Shopline clears and reducers on smaller jobs. I tried the Shopline primer filler and didn't like it. I prefer K36 and K201 hardner. It fills really good and doesn't shrink up. But I like their clearcoats and are a fraction of the cost compared to DC and DCU clears. I love the DCU2021 and use it on completes.

Shopline is repacked Omni to be sold only by PPG Platinum Dealers,,,Platinum dealer was just here,,,don't know of any formulation changes over Omni but will check.
    Jim