TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: DP90LF epoxy primer

Default DP90LF epoxy primer

After many months of blocking and 2k priming, my car is ready for paint. I have two question here..

1- Can DP90LF be used for a sealer? If not what should I be using? "Car is to be painted with PPG bc/cc. I would use this primer because I have a bit less than a 1/2 gallon left.

2-If I am to use the epoxy as a sealer, do I have to sand everything again to 400 wet after the sealer?

Any and all help is appericated....

Mick

Default DPLF is a very good sealer...

DP90 is a great sealer, you just need to mix it a little different. You mix it 2:1 like normally then add 1/2 part of reducer to make it into a sealer...that's all there is to it...

You don't need to sand the sealer, you spray the sealer like it's your first coat of base, it goes on wet on wet. You can wait an half an hour, I prefer waiting one hour after you shot the DP, then go ahead and spray your basecoat. Take your time between coats as it gives time for the solvants to evaporate and not becomming trapped...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Hey Serge thanks your your input.
    Should I put down 2 coats of DP or just one and move on to base?

Thanks Mick

Default Just one...

You are creating a tie coat, sort of like an even coat of glue that will help even out the color, seal up the substrate and help with adhesion...

One nice medium wet coat is all you need.
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Serge I could be wrong, but i could have sworn that the epoxy is 2:1:1 for a sealer? I dont have the tech books on it because its the only PPG product i use?

I thought it was 2:1:1/2 .mixed
    But I haven't read the tech sheet in awhile.
    I don't use it to often either, once last yr on a frame

Rich

Default Mixing is 2:1:1/2 for sealing...

Here's a link to the spec sheet...

Use one half part DT reducer...

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...3-e0bc8a0982db

I like their new website...a little harder to navigate but more info in general...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Serge,
    Thanks for you input on the sealer. Yesterday I shot one coat of sealer and two coatsbase. Today I shot two coats of clear and all the jams and edges look awsome!!!! I will post some pic when everything is dry.

Thanks again Mick

Mick,
    What is the recoat window for the base you're using? A lot of the base coats have a recoat window of a maximum of 24 hrs with a dry time to clearcoat of as little as 15 minutes. I've always been of the mind that the earlier in the recoat window the better the chemical adhesion between the 2 layers. If you're spraying your base one day and clearing the next you may be pushing envelope and at the least not getting maximum adhesion.
    Steve g.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g
    Mick,
    What is the recoat window for the base you're using? A lot of the base coats have a recoat window of a maximum of 24 hrs with a dry time to clearcoat of as little as 15 minutes. I've always been of the mind that the earlier in the recoat window the better the chemical adhesion between the 2 layers. If you're spraying your base one day and clearing the next you may be pushing envelope and at the least not getting maximum adhesion.
    Steve g.
    Not to hijack the thread, but you bring up a good point that I will soon have to deal with. How would you handle a two color spray job(roof and body diff.colors)? With the dry time of the first color and the extensive time involved in re-masking,It would be hard to accomplish in the time allowed. Should I color and clear the first panel? What would you recommend? ('63 belair,white roof,lite green body) Thanx

Yes, color and clear the first section then allow it to harden, cover it and paint the remainder of the vehicle. I would probably paint the roof first.

Hey Steve,
    I am using PPg's DBC, and yes the window from base to clear is 15 min. to 24 hrs. I am using 2021 clear and was shot well with in the time window. Thanks for the heads ups.....