TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: PPG sealer before basecoat?

Default PPG sealer before basecoat?

Does anybody have a PPG sealer that they like to use? I will be using DBC basecoat. The p-sheet for the base coat says 2k primer/surfacer must be sealed before using DBC-9700 black, which I will be using as a ground coat for a 3 stage color shifting paint (ppg harlequin). Right now I have the vehicle primed and sanded w/ dupont/nason 421-19 2k. I usually don't like to mix and match brands, but when I started primer work I didn't know I would be using PPG topcoats. I figure I better use a sealer to be safe.

Looks like my choices are: DAS3025 v-seal, NCS2005 Deltron sealer, or DP90 LF epoxy primer (thinned) and many others. I have never used any PPG products before so would like a recommendation.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Default I use DP...

I use DP as a sealer. DP90-LF will give you good coverage and is an excellent tie coat...It's good to have around anyway as it is an excellent epoxy primer...so no wasted material...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Serge - I plan to use the PPG epoxy for the sealer coat on my project. What is the mixing ratio you use ?
    Bob Williams
    Houston, TX

Default Just add more reducer...

Add 1/2 part reducer to it and it becomes a sealer...You can use DT reducer even though the tech sheet mentions compliant reducer...(unless you are in california and it's illegal to do so...)

Here's a link to the tech info...
    https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...8-07dab19215aa
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Thanks Serge -- always appreciate the advice.
    Andy

I followed what Serge stated, worked well for me.

how many coats of this sealer would everyone recommend..... I'll be following with PPG DBC9700 (BLACK)
    Bob Williams
    Houston, TX

one coat would probably be fine.
    What im wondering is...if your going to use dp sealer and get it in black..maybe your black basecoat is unneccesary.
    Ive sprayed harlequin before and it covers excellent over black.. 2 coats is enough.
    Maybe since the sealer is black you dont even need the black base.